Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Unit 3

What?

I found myself struggling to finish writing this blog. I did not score well on the Readiness Assurance Test for Unit 3 as I was confused about all the approaches and theories. I think I did not pay enough attention to them; I mixed up the criteria in each topic and could not remember some of the terms used. So far, the ones that I understood best are the “Situational Leadership” and “Leader-member Exchange Theory of Leadership” (LMX) mainly because I have encountered them before.  As I understand it, situational leadership revolves around four leadership styles: directing, coaching, supporting and delegating where they offer different degrees of support and direction to followers. The LMX theory, on the other hand, talks about the leader-follower relationship that is divided into the in-groups and the out-groups. I suppose this theory can be very obvious sometimes.



In-group and out-group in LMX theory 

So What?

When I entered high school, I joined this specific organization that requires me to take a practical and a written test to become a member. That was more than 6 years ago but I could still remember the whole situation vividly. The supposed leader was supposed to teach me and my friends the skills needed for the practical test but he did not. When the officer asked us to demonstrate, we hesitated. So, the officer asked the leader for an explanation. He then looked at us with the meanest facial expression and said that he did teach us. I was furious and disappointed that he treated us that way while he was being extraordinarily nice to some (usually pretty girls). I never liked being in that organization until someone else replaces him when he graduated. Apparently, according to the LMX theory, my friends and I might be categorized in the out-group, the alienated newbie group that did not meet up to his expectation.



Now What?

After reliving this old memory, I realized that a follower does expect a lot from the leader. I suppose I will expect a lot from my leader too. Whichever leadership style, all of them emphasize on the leader-follower relationship. For if the leader-follower relationship is nowhere near perfect, productivity and loyalty will automatically decrease. One thing for sure, I will not want to be in an out-group anymore just because the leader is biased and is neither directive nor supportive. 


Image obtained from http://www.cvtc.edu/pages/502.asp




No comments: