Sunday, October 17, 2010

My First Fall



What?

It is truly amazing to watch the colors of the leaves change from green to a myriad of yellow, orange and red. It reminds me of the first Korean drama I watched in 2004 titled “Autumn Fairy Tale”; I used to be crazy over it. Back in Malaysia, it is hot and humid all year round, so the trees are usually non-deciduous evergreens. This weekend was good and bad for a few reasons. I had two wonderful dinner sessions with the Malaysian families in Blacksburg. We had Fish head curry, which I missed terribly (I love seafood). The bad thing was, I went to my friend’s apartment to prepare something for the dinner session and we forgot to turn off the stove. What’s worse, we went out straight after that, so something was burned and that triggered the smoke alarm. What’s left was a notice from the Blacksburg Fire Department, asking my friend to call the leasing office. The both of us were so careless! I wondered if the whole building has to be evacuated.

Burruss Hall in Fall.

Really pretty leaves.

These reminded me of the singing Pansies in Alice and Wonderland.

Love letter from the Blacksburg Fire Department



So What?

So after this week, I learned yet again a few lessons in life. The first one is obvious: there are many life challenges that should be considered as life experience, not failures. I doubt that I will forget the stove incident though. Even though there are many things that hold me back, there are also many reasons why life is great. Life is tough but it has to go on. I have so many hopes and dreams that keep me going: backpacking with my sister in Europe, getting a few Coach hand bags and a Volkswagen Beatle, bringing my parents on a trip around the world, visiting the Wonders of the World and so many others. The moral of the story is if nothing ever happens in life, it would be dull and meaningless.




Now What?

Life has been pretty much the same for me. Mistakes and success, sadness and happiness, they come and go. Lately, I have been searching for a microwave oven. I almost got one today after receiving a moving sale email, but due to the absence of a cellphone and a car, I lost my chance. I guess I would have to wait for another chance. Everything seems to be testing my patience these days. Thank goodness for Utz, Snickers and Hershey’s, my happy hormones are back in check.





No comments: