Monday, January 31, 2011

Sorry Disneyworld, Blacksburg comes first!

School is getting busier each day and I get more tired each day! Talking about my plans to Disneyworld, Orlando in Florida, they didn't come true because I did not book the tickets much earlier. Plane ticket prices shot sky-high but nevertheless, I spent an eventful winter break December last year. I spent most of my time in my apartment watching Korean dramas and eating. WARNING - this is extremely unhealthy and should not be followed by anyone wishing to NOT gain weight. End result, I gained a few pounds and went crazy over Mischievous Kiss, Secret Garden, and the list goes on and on. Thank you mysoju.com and hulu.com!

According to my friends, Blacksburg doesn't have that much snow compared to that last year, but it's much colder. I agree, because it got as low as -14 degree Celcius once and my hands, nose and face hurt so much even when I have my protective gear on.

Yup, that's me at the War Memorial Chapel after watching Harry Potter.


Since most of my mat salleh friends have gone home, I was left alone, but thank goodness, there are a few Malaysian families here that offer much warmth and comfort in times like this. Good food and hospitality never bores me. There is never a day that I don't feel thankful to them for being there. Even though we don't really celebrate Christmas, we still have a Christmas dinner and I got to have turkey for the second time!


Feast fit for a king.

Two turkeys! Enough for everyone =)

Cut-up turkey - the celery is soft and full of taste..Loved it!

Cranberry sauce to go with the turkey. Sour and appetizing!

Sauce for the mash potatoes and turkey.

Corn~

Dinner roll~

Malaysians as we are, rice (nasi briyani) is never left out =D

Kak Yati's sambal salted fish~

Dessert #1 - Black glutinous rice soup with coconut milk (not shown here)

Dessert #2 - Strawberry pudding
My #1 serving, total # of servings is private and confidential :P


Thank you very much *Kak Rose (Malaysian PhD student at Virginia Tech), **Abang Ridzuan (her husband) and family! The food was great and I had such a great time! I found it hard to move too (too full) =D I realized that I have somehow left out pictures of the freshly-made mashed potatoes and salad. I guess I was too hungry and excited then!




*Kak is "kakak" in the Malay language, which means "sister"
**Abang means 'brother' in the Malay language


No comments: