Friday, January 28, 2011

Greenhouse Effect #1




Wednesday, January 26, 2011 was the day I planted my first few potted plants. As an undergraduate majoring in Agricultural Sciences, it could be really weird to many out there that I have not done all these before. Now that I have chosen to minor in Horticulture, I have to take classes that require me to go to the greenhouses here at Virginia Tech for lab sessions. I was so excited that I could not sleep well the day before. To be honest, I was more to being scared than anything else - I haven't planted any plants before in my life!


The hallway going to the greenhouses located outside.

My class is using this greenhouse; there are many more to the right - not in this picture.

From the door, entering the greenhouse.


The greenhouses felt really comfortable because it's really cold outside, usually below 0 Celcius now that it's winter time. It's humid in there and it felt a bit like the highlands in Malaysia =) I planted a tomato plant (using 2 really tiny seeds) and 2 ornamental plants to which I have forgotten the names. Sorry! But I think most of you have seen them before.

I was kind of sad that I forgot to bring along my camera that day but due to my enthusiasm, I went to the greenhouse today just to get a few pictures. Here they are:

Tools and utensils
My tomato "plant"

Spider plant if I'm not wrong

I guess you know what plant this is :)

My name tag on my 3rd plant


Time to put to put it back into its "personal greenhouse"
And let it spend some time with its friends =)

Rice plants in another greenhouse

The pipes hanging above along the walkway make really weird noises..haha

Now I can't wait for other lab sessions! It was so much fun to plant all these. I don't know if the fun is going to last but I hope that it will. I have so much more to write so I thought I might add more later tonight. Shower time!

No comments: