Sunday, September 26, 2010

Trait, Skills or Style?

What?           
                                           
There are so many approaches to leadership: trait, skills and style (Rowe and Guerrero, 2011). I was quite confused because they are different from one another but they are all important. Everyone has their own definition of leadership. Is it acceptable if we have our own definition, or do we follow definition given by leaders themselves and those who carry out research on leadership? I think each individual will possess at least one different characteristic in each approach, and all these contribute to what makes him or her, a leader.






So What?

Alain Gomez, Craig Conway and John Chambers were all top leaders in their own companies and they view leadership from trait, skills and style approaches respectively. I guess there are a lot of factors that contribute to what makes a leader. I have a Strengths Development class that focuses on personal talents and strengths. When I link what I learned from both Leadership and Strengths Development class, I realized that these strengths do contribute to what make leaders at their best in their own fields. I think leaders view leadership from different perspectives because they have different strengths and they may be making full use of their own strengths to play to success.



Now What?

I took the Big Five Personality Test (Leadership Trait Approach) and I think the results are quite accurate for me if not for others. Of course, all personality tests have their gray areas; each individual is unique and many other factors may affect the results. In my opinion, these tests provide good information for self-improvement, but they don’t necessarily determine one’s future. Personally, I will consider playing with my talents and strengths if I were to become a leader in the future.







No comments: