Sunday, September 5, 2010

Of Independence and being Independent

What?
Our 1st Prime Minister declaring our Independence in the Merdeka Stadium in 1957.
My beloved home country Malaysia celebrated her 53rd “Hari Merdeka” on August 31, 2010. This day brings happy and meaningful memories to Malaysians of all ages. On this date 53 years ago, the then Federation of Malaya was declared free from the British occupation after decades of hardships and sufferings. To the first leaders of Malaya, you will never be forgotten.

Me and my beloved sisters.
Being independent is important to survive in this competitive and ever-changing world. Born into a family with only female siblings, I was brought up performing challenging tasks at home. Thanks to our beloved know-it-all dad, all the knowledge that we obtained in the process comes in handy whenever we need it. I felt grateful for my dad after changing all the light bulbs in my apartment all on my own.


So What?

The true meaning of 1 Malaysia.
“Hari Merdeka” is remarkable; it brought people of all races in Malaysia together, be it Malays, Chinese, Indians, “Peranakans”, the indigenous as well as many others. We share different cultures, languages, beliefs and foods, and yet we live peacefully under an umbrella known as Malaysia. This is not a day’s work of course; we have our share of respect and tolerance that made us “1 Malaysia”.
My younger sister cleaning the fence for Chinese New Year.

Back at home, from changing fluorescent tubes, cleaning the ceiling fan to repairing the pipes, my siblings and I did practically all that we can do to help our parents out. As my dad is the only male in the family, we rely heavily on him to do things that we can’t. He taught us so many basic living skills that majority of people my age don’t possess. In my opinion, more and more people grow up being spoonfed.  When it is time for them to be on their own, they get into trouble because they have yet to learn how to be independent. This can be changed.



Now what?

The beautiful Teluk Chempedak Beach in my hometown.
Malaysia is a prosperous developing country that will never cease to be my home. Even though we have a hot and humid climate all year round, all the bad that we have may be just flash floods and isolated cases of “bad behaviors”. Otherwise, all is good. I miss Malaysia, especially the food! (and my family of course). Happy 53rd Anniversary, Malaysia!
I believe.


As useful as it is, becoming independent is a life-long learning process that brings us forward and makes us good leaders in any institution, be it family, college or country. I want to be independent; that is why I came to Tech alone. I need to experience it firsthand and now I am. I believe and I know that I will be independent one day.