Saturday, September 25, 2010

Searching for Strengths

What?

What a busy week, but I enjoyed it anyways! I had quizzes and assignments as usual but there were a few extraordinary and special events that took place. The best experience for me so far is to wake up in very early in the morning just to go to the Math Emporium to take my quiz. Secondly, I helped prepare and attended a dinner with a group of delegates from a Malaysian university (UTM) at Cranwell International Center on Thursday. They are actually touring around universities in the United States and decided to stop by Virginia Tech for a few days. On Friday, I went out with a friend and my roommate for the Lumenhaus Tour on the Drillfield (It’s Sustainability Week) and then had a wonderful dinner with them at University Mall.


My fellow graduate friends and Katherine in Cranwell.

Guests from UTM.

The very cool Lumenhaus.


In Lumenhaus's bathroom.

So What?

After all these activities, I think I have discovered some my talents; I felt really happy after going for the activities and look forward to doing them again! I suppose I have to pay more attention to my strengths as they are not as clear as I thought. After last week’s class, I was truly amazed by what Marcus Buckingham said in his video. I am not sure if that’s because he has a good power of persuasion or I am easily persuaded. I think it’s both.  Anyhow, these activities really exposed me to different types of new environments and knowledge. For me, I enjoy the learning process where I’m mesmerized by the power and creativity of the human brain.


Now What?

The coming weeks will be exam weeks! I’m getting ready for all of them but before that, I hope I can make it to tonight’s Moon Festival in Squires. I really want to have some mooncakes. The Mid-Autumn Festival is quite a big festival for Chinese all over the world. Lucky for me, I did not feel homesick at all. I hope it will be the same during Chinese New Year Celebration early next year. May all my exams go well and may I find my talents and strengths soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yi Lin, Thanks for sharing your blog this week. No one likes to wake up early for the Math Empo... but just think... well... its nothing really nice I can say about the Math Empo. =)

But in regards to your other activities, Im glad that you are experiencing the many opportunities that Virginia Tech has to offer. Virginia Tech is all about discovery... discovery of knowledge, skills, other cultures and backgrounds, and of course your strengths. Keep looking for ways to develop your talents. And I agree--- May all your exams go well! Fingers crossed =)