Sunday, September 19, 2010

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life - A Food Blog

What?

I felt sorry for myself for not attending the lecture given by the author of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, Barbara Kingsolver in Burruss Hall. I couldn’t write this blog based on it, and I couldn’t answer the question in my World Forests and Forest Products Quiz 3. Initially, I din't think of attending any of the activities because this week was extremely packed! Fortunately, I changed my mind and made the right decision by attending the Virginia Harvest Celebration Dinner in D2 and got myself some interesting-looking food. If I am not wrong, this is a special dinner held in honor of the author herself. I dragged my roommate, Katherine with me and got the chance to meet some new friends!

My copy of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life.

Katherine enjoying her meal in D2.

New found friends; rightmost is Katherine's high school friend.


So what?

Dinner in D2 is not cheap at all, even if one has a meal plan. I’m really lucky that I brought Katherine; she has a meal plan, so both of us got our dinner for about $10 dollars per person. Otherwise, I would have to fork out about $15, which is really expensive for just one meal. This is my second time in D2, and this is my first time observing so many different types of vegetable dishes served in D2. They should be Virginia’s fall harvest and I don’t think D2 serves that many variety of vegetable dishes on normal occasions. Not surprisingly, I have never seen or tasted some of the food served: examples include baked Rosemary potatoes, pastry or pizza with turkey and goat cheese and many other names that I could not remember. They looked and tasted exotic too! The ones that I enjoyed most are the roast beef with white sauce and grilled chicken. They were extremely good. I was quite disappointed that I did not have the chance to taste everything, including dessert. There were so many people, the queues were long and I arrived late at 6.50 p.m.

Roast beef with white sauce; baked potatoes.

Goat cheese and turkey pastry/pizza.

Mixture of vegetables; grilled chicken.


Now what?

I did not regret going for the dinner even though it cost me a fortune. It was a brand new experience and now I know many local dishes made from Virginia/local produce. Some of them might not be of my taste but at least I had the chance to try them. From this dinner, I can observe how important agriculture is to produce enough food for people, whether locally or internationally. I look forward to going to Katherine’s home in Arlington during Thanksgiving and Christmas to taste more of these different local foods. As for the book, I have yet to finish reading it, but I will try my best to do so.

Heading home after the meal.

No comments: