Sunday, November 7, 2010

Strengths-Based Career




What?

As a government-sponsored student, I have a few curfews after I graduate. I will be required to return and serve my country, Malaysia (an FAO country). The government will then assign me a job according to the major/field that I graduated in where I will serve for 6 years. I, of course, would not know what job will be assigned to me but I definitely wish to work in the Agricultural sector. After that, I will continue with my graduate studies. My strengths: Restorative, Adaptability, Analytical, Relator, Consistency – they affect my decisions-making process and for now, I have settled my thoughts to working as an Associate Professional Officer (APO) for the Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO). 




ciesin.org


So What?

According to fao.org, candidates for the program include any young professional under the age of 32 with a strong commitment to food and agricultural development development issues, a university degree and practical experience with developing countries as well as a genuine interest in working with people from across the world.

Requirements for candidates include:

  1. A university degree at M.Sc. or MA level or B.Sc. or BA level with at least three years of relevant working experience.
  2. Working knowledge of two of FAO's official languages: English, Spanish, French, Arabic, Russian and Chinese
  3. Excellent information technology skills, including word processing, database applications, presentation software, and the Internet
  4. Minimum of one to two years of working experience in a developing country (optional)
  5. Ability to think strategically; to express ideas clearly; to work independently and in teams combines with cultural and gender sensitivity.
  6. Strong commitment to development; an interest in adapting to varied physical and professional environments; and a desire to work with people of different language, national and cultural backgrounds.
  7. Respect for the principles of the United Nations Charter and FAO's Mission Statement.


fao.org


Now What?

Most of the requirements should fit my strengths well; requirements 5 and 7 with Restorative, Analytical, Relator and Consistency, and requirement 6 with Adaptibility. All the other requirements can definitely be fulfilled with my years in the university and my plans for graduate studies. However, it is easier said than done. There might not be a vacancy when I apply and I would be far away from home most of the time. Other than that, there are also many other challenges when in different countries - culture, language, diseases, environmental factors and many others. For me, no job is easy but it doesn't get more difficult if one enjoys doing it.





No comments: